01st February 2019
CALL TO ARTISTS.
BLUE – a carnival art exhibition
22 FEB – 16 MAR 2019
CALL TO ARTISTS
The Art Society of Trinidad and Tobago is pleased to invite you to submit new works for our Carnival Art Exhibition entitled, “Blue”
The Vision: Let’s “paint” the room blue. Playing on the iconic carnival character, the Blue Devil, we would like you to interpret and explore fully, the idea of Blue as it relates to carnival. Be as expressive as you wish. By the time the show is installed, we would like to see the gallery space all in blue, as if immersed in a carnival experience. Works should be, but, not restricted to a size small enough for a carnival visitor to travel with. There is also a ceiling price point of nothing more than US$1000.00/TT7000.00
Please pay attention to the following schedule
|04FEB 2019||Via Social Media and Email||Official Launch/ Exhibition Announced|
||Tuesdays- Saturdays 12noon-6pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org||Sign up to volunteer for ASTT’s Exhibitions Committee 2019|
|15 FEB 2019||12noon-6pm||Submission/Delivery to ASTT|
|16 FEB 2019||12noon-6pm||Submission/Delivery to ASTT|
|16 FEB 2019||TBA||Selection committee|
|19 FEB 2019||
|21 FEB 2019||12noon-6pm||Installation of exhibition|
|22 FEB 2019||6pm-8:30pm||BLUE opening lime|
|28FEB 2019||6:30pm – 10:00pm||Movie night – Play the Devil and Jab|
|26FEB-01MAR 2019||12Noon- 6pm||BLUE Exhibition Week 1|
|07-09 MAR 2019||12Noon- 6pm||BLUE Exhibition Week 2 (Carnival week)|
|09 MAR 2019||9am-2pm||WORKSHOP – Papier Mache|
|12-16 MAR FEB 2019||12Noon- 6pm||BLUE Exhibition Week 3 (Closing 16 Mar)|
|16 MAR 2019||12Noon-6pm||Collection|
|30 MAR 2019||12 Noon-6pm||Payment to Artists|
The Exhibitions Committee is open to all members who wish to contribute and/or volunteer to the ASTT’s exhibitions. Interested persons can send their contact details and area of expertise to email@example.com
The Jury and selection process
A selection committee will determine which works will be accepted for BLUE. The criteria must be adhered to and the more topical and sensational the work, the better. The committee and the artists can use this matrix as a guide.
|ARTIST’S REG #||Title||Medium||Price||Visual Impact||Originality||Clarity of Theme||Material||
Matrix Explained: The matrix will be given to each member of the Jury. They will award points individually and an average taken as the final score. The jury will establish a percentage point that is considered accepted v declined. For example, any work scoring lower that an average of 70 points will not be accepted for this show.
VISUAL IMPACT (30 points) points awarded to the overall impact and appeal of the work. First Impression.
ORIGINALITY: (30 points) These points will be awarded for the artists presenting the best ideas, the most topical or relevant subject matter.
CLARITY OF THEME: (20 points) For the artists sticking to the interpretation of the theme, BLUE
MATERIAL: (20 points) Points will be awarded for the choices made with the materials used. Canvas panels, plywood, fabric, papier mache etc..
Only artists scoring 70 points or higher will be accepted into the final exhibition. So put on your thinking caps and get creative.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTING TO BLUE EXHIBITION
- WHO CAN SUBMIT WORKS: Any financial member artist can submit works for this exhibition. Artists can become a member or renew their membership by completing the online form and depositing the membership fee at any First Citizens Banks, nationwide. Then email us the deposit slip. http://artsocietytt.org/apply/ Membership Fee is 200.00 / year. There is a student fee of $50.00 on presentation of valid student ID.
- WHAT CAN I SUBMIT: You can submit new, original works related to the carnival theme of BLUE. Works can be in any category of the Visual Arts in any medium. The vision is to have the collection is blue, playing on the palette of the blue devil.
- HOW MANY WORKS CAN I SUBMIT: Max four (small) at the discretion of the selection committee and space restraints.
- WHAT IS THE SIZE LIMITATIONS: We want to paint the town blue, so artists can submit as many of sets of up to FOUR pieces or a total area of 36”x36” on average. Not 4 pieces that are as big as 16×20 etc. This will be at the discretion of the curatorial panel.
- FRAMING: Framing is not essential for this type of exhibition, however works should be delivered ready to hang. Please ensure that there is a wire or hook attached to your work.
- PRICING: Artists must establish the selling price of their work. This can be calculated using the following formula. Artist Price X 4, divided by 3 = Selling Price. Eg: if you want $5250. in your hand, 5250 X 4 = $21000. 21000. divided by 3 = $7000. Your selling price will be $7000.00. The ASTT will take a 25% commission or ¼ of the sale. Each piece submitted will be for sale.
- COMMISSION: All works sold at this exhibition by the ASTT is subject to a 25% Sales Commission. If you are selling for $7000. we will take $1750.00 and give you $5250.00. This represents ¼ of the selling price to the ASTT and ¾ to the artist.
- INSURANCE: The Art Society and all artworks in its possession are insured with IBWIL. A detailed inventory is given to the insurers for the run of its shows throughout the year. For special high value collections, a further coverage is obtained for that period of possession.
- READ THE IMPORTANT DATES: Dates of submissions, the opening reception lime and plan accordingly.
- OPENING Lime: The exhibition will open on Friday 22nd February at 6pm-830pm. There will be refreshments on sale and there will be music in keeping with the carnival season. Feel free to bring your little cooler and lime with us at the opening. Your ideas are welcomed. Will run for approx three weeks. The ASTT is always building on its mailing list, but, members have followers too. If you have people you would like us to include on our mailing list, who may be interested in your work, please let us know and we will include them.
- GALLERY HOURS: The ASTT Gallery does not open on Sundays and Mondays. Visitors to the gallery are welcomed Tuesdays-Saturdays from 12noon-6pm . The ASTT will be closed between Saturday 02nd March to Ash Wednesday, 6th March. Reopens on the 7th at noon.
- ONLINE SUBMISSION: Artists submitting work electronically for the BLUE exhibition must submit high res JPEG images (300 DPI) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org Please copy and paste this in the subject line of your email >> BLUE 19 ONLINE SUBMISSION. Online Submission is open until 15 Feb 2019. Entries received after this date, will not be considered by our panel of jurors. Also include with each image the following, in this order: Artist’s Name, Mobile phone number, Title, Size, Medium, Selling Price and a paragraph about yourself and another paragraph about you work presented. This information will be made into a page for a folder in our gallery for visitors’ perusal. Deadline for online submission is 15th February 2019, but we must receive the physical work at the gallery by 6pm on Saturday 16th February 2019.
- SUBMISSION: The submission days are on the 15th and 16th February, between the hours of 12noon and 6pm. Works must be properly labeled with the labels provided and Consignment Form attached should be completed prior to coming to the ASTT. This will help expedite your submission.
- SUBMISSION FEE: A non-refundable submission fee of $100.00 applies to each piece being submitted.
- SELECTION NOTIFICATION: On the 19th February, you will receive an email informing you of the status of your submission.
- COLLECTION: The closing day for the exhibition is Saturday 16th March. 12noon and 6pm. Works left back at the ASTT beyond this date are no longer the responsibility of the ASTT.
- SPONSORSHIP: This is a very important aspect of any art exhibition. As an N.G.O., we are dependent and the generosity of our corporate and private sponsors. Without this support, we cannot run our programmes as they should be run. We are appealing to everyone, whether you work with a large organization, a small business or even as an individual, to help support the Visual Arts.
- CORPORATE TAX INCENTIVE: Companies are encouraged to support the Visual Arts by way or purchases for their collections. They can take advantage of the 100% Corporate Tax Incentive for first time acquisitions of original works of art done by Nationals of Trinidad and Tobago. Works in the exhibition qualify for this incentive.
To submit please Download Full Call document and follow the instructions to complete necessary registration forms to be delivered to ASTT with your submission.