You are cordially invited to submit works for annual November exhibition which is open to all financial members. There is NO THEME for the November exhibition but members are encouraged to produce works which best represent who they are as an artist. This document contains the guidelines and a timetable for the event. We look forward to your participation.
All visual art genres are acceptable (painting, photography, drawing, sculpture, digital prints, fiber are, collage or installation art) except video art.
Please pay attention to the following schedule
|18 Oct||Official Exhibition Announced via ASTT Newsletter & Social Media|
|Sat 20 Oct||4pm-6pm||1st Exhibition Committee Meeting|
|Sat 27 Oct||5pm-7pm||2nd Exhibition Committee Meeting|
|Mon 29 Oct||Press Release|
|Sun 4 Nov||10noon-5pm||Submission for:
1.Nov.Members’ Exhibition – In-house photographing of piece & Jurying
2.Works 100% donated to “the ARC” (Artists’ Relief Charity) Art Auction.
(Please note that ASTT is closed for all other business)
|Wed 7 Nov||5pm – 6pm||3rd Exhibition Committee Meeting|
|Fri 9 Nov||4pm – 8pm||the ARC (Artists’ Relief Charity) Art Auction|
|Sat 10 Nov||10am – 5pm||Final submission of accepted pieces|
|15-16 Nov||8am – 8pm||Hanging/Installation|
|19 Nov||6pm-8:30pm||Opening Reception|
|20-25 Nov||12Noon- 6pm||Exhibition Week 1|
|Sat 24 Nov||11am-1pm||Awardees Artist Talk|
|Fri 30 Nov||6:30 – 9pm||Movie Night|
|26 Nov-7Dec||12Noon- 6pm||Exhibition Week 2|
|November||12Noon- 6pm||Exhibition Week 3|
|2 Dec||10am – 3pm||Christmas mART (curated by Tessa Alexander Sloane-Seale)|
|7 Dec||Exhibition closes|
|8 Dec||12Noon-6pm||Final Collection & Gallery Clean Up|
Curator: Wulf Gerstenmaier, 2ndVice President and Visual Artist
The Exhibitions Teamis open to all members who wish to contribute and/or volunteer to the ASTT’s exhibition. Meeting dates have been listed below. If interested in joining the team, simply attend the meetings and participate in the required activities.
Judges: These will be announced separately
The Jury and selection process
A jury has been invited to select works for the 2018 November Members’ Exhibition. It will comprise a cross section of our visual arts community. The Jury committee will also include, but not be influenced by, the curator of this exhibition
The panel will be provided with a matrix from which to score the works according to 5 different criteria and integrity of the artwork.
Criteria for jurying each piece submitted are as follows: –
- Visual Impact (first impression & overall appeal) – 10 points
- Skills (use of media) – 5 points
- Colour (balance & use of colour including monotone and its values)– 5 points
- Composition – 5 points
- Originality – 5 points
Total possible = 30 points
Registration numbers will be issued in numerical order as received by ASTT admin and will be prefixed by a letter according to category: P=painting,PH= Photography, S=Sculpture, C=Ceramics, F= Fabric, O=Other. Actual artists’ names will be omitted from the jury’s matrix.
Matrix Explained: The matrix will be given to each member of the Jury. They will award points individually and an average taken as the final score. To ensure a high standard any work scoring lower that an average of 20 points will not be accepted for this show. ONLY the TOP 50 scoring pieceswill be accepted for the exhibition. The top scorer in each of the respective categories will be automatically considered to be the winner. This will be awarded based on an average of the scores of all jurors combined.
Guidelines for submitting works for November Exhibition 2018
- WHO CAN SUBMIT WORKS: Artists must be financial members for the Art Society of Trinidad and Tobago. An artist can become a member,or renew his/her membershipby coming into the ASTT office or by completing the online form and depositing the membership fee at any First Citizens Banks, nationwide. Then email us the deposit slip. http://artsocietytt.org/apply/ Membership Fee is $200 per year, however as part of our 75thAnniversary celebration ASTT is offering a moratorium of $100 for the remainder of 2018 PLUS $200.00 for 2019 for a total of $300 to be paid prior to or on submission. There is a student fee of $100.00 on presentation of valid student ID – once again there is an offer of a moratorium of $50 for the remainder of 2018 PLUS $100.00 for 2019 for a total of $150 to be paid prior to or on submission.
- WHATCAN I SUBMIT? Artists can submit works in any medium or genre of visual arts which includes, Painting, Photography, Ceramics, Sculpture,Fabric or Other (other media not listed) All submissions must be new works not previously exhibited and must reflect their personal style. Unsuitable works will not be accepted
- HOW MANY WORKS CAN I SUBMIT? Artists may submit up to two piecesof artwork.
- WHAT IS THE SIZE LIMITATIONS? Any work submitted cannot exceed 18”x 24”or 432 square inches.
- FRAMING: All works selected must be professionally/tastefully mounted and ready for hanging or installation in our gallery. If the work does not have a ready installed wire for hangingit will NOT be included in the collection. There are various framing businesseswho offer discounts to artists.
- PRICING: Artists must establish the selling price of their work. This can be calculated using the following formula. Artist Price X 4, divided by 3 = Selling Price. Example: if you want $1200 in your hand, $1200 X 4 = $4800. $4800 divided by 3 = $1600. Your selling price will be $1600. Each piece submittedMUST be available for sale.
- COMMISSION: The Art Society takes 25% commission off the selling price for any sales. This is deducted for the selling price of your work. If you are selling for $1600 we will take $400 and give you $1200.
- INSURANCE: The Art Society and all artworks in its possession are insured. A detailed inventory is given to the insurers for the run of its shows throughout the year. For special high value collections, a further coverage is obtained for that period of possession.
- IMPORTANT DATES: Dates of submissions, the opening reception and all related dates are posted above for your perusal. Please pay attention to these dates and plan accordingly.
- SUBMISSION FEE: A non-refundable submission fee of $100 applies to each piece being submitted. Members may submit a maximum of two pieces or one diptych.
- SUBMISSION FOR CRITIQUE & JURYING: Works will be submitted directly to the jury between the hours of 10am-5pm on Sunday 4thNovember, 2018 ONLY. Artists will leave with their works of art.
- SELECTION NOTIFICATION: On the 7 November you will receive an email informing you of the status of your submission. Once you have received the email advising that your piece(s) have been selected, you may proceed to the framing phase to prepare your work for submission day. All works selected at this phase are final.
- FINAL SUBMISSION: The final submission day is on the Saturday 10 November, 2018between the hours of 10:00 pm and 5:00pm.During or before this time, artists are required to bring in their work(s), ready to hang or display. The labels provided (below) and submission form (also included below) should be completed prior to coming to the ASTT. This will help in expeditingyour submission
- OPENING RECEPTION: The exhibition will open on Monday 19 Novemberand will run for three weeks. The reception is between 6:00pm and 8:30pmand is free of charge. The ASTT is always building on its mailing list, but, we are aware that members also have patrons.If you havepeoplewho may be interested in your work and you would like us to include on our mailing list, please let us know well in advance and we will include them.
- GALLERY HOURS: The ASTT Gallery does not open on Sundays and Mondays. Visitors to the gallery are welcomed Tuesdays-Saturdays from 12noon-6pm. There are NOholidays during the run of the show.
- COLLECTION: The closing date for the exhibition is Friday 7 December 2018and collection MUST be done by Saturday 8 December between 12:00 pm and 5:00pm. We DO NOThave a facility to store unclaimed works. Please make arrangements to collect your works within this window.
- SPONSORSHIP:This is a very important aspect of any art exhibition. As an N.G.O., we are dependent and the generosity of our corporate and private sponsors. Without this support, we cannot run our programs as We are appealing to everyone, whether you work with a large organization, a small business or even as an individual, to help support the Visual Arts. The following is a sponsorship scale for your perusal:
- Supporting Sponsors – Friends of the Arts($5K): Name or logo on Sponsors wall and social media
- Supporting Members($500.) Waiver of submission fee and name placement in list of sponsors