CARNIVAL ARTS EXHIBITION
“Small Mas” – a carnival collective
TITLE: “Small Mas”
The Carnival Arts Exhibition is designed to create a collaboration between the working Visual Artists of Trinidad and Tobago and the Carnival Arts. As part of the roster of activities for the Carnival season, the Art Society feels strongly that a Visual Arts component is an integral part of this National Festival, just like Carifesta and other regional Cultural Events.
In the past, the Art Society of Trinidad and Tobago has been invited by the National Carnival Commission to participate in the Carnival Village and to mount a Visual Arts programme, which we cross-marketed between the two organizations. We are 100% committed to developing this relationship between the Visual Arts and the Carnival fraternity, as part of our National product.
This exhibition is intended to kick off with workshops on Saturdays in January leading up to the exhibition. They include Lino Print Making and Mask Making and the participants are encouraged to bring these works to completion, so as, to be included in the exhibition. The Workshops are lined up so that a person doing the lino print can also do the other one. A Carnival Arts Exhibition include must genres of visual arts other than painting and photography but also 3 dimensional and installations works, as well as, performance art.
The body of work in this exhibition must have specific emphasis on Carnival and all that it encompasses. Artists are encouraged to think outside their comfort zone and to really investigate the different art forms and representations of imagery related to carnival. The exhibition will consist of members’ work that include: Painting, Photography, Ceramics, Sculpture, Performance Art, Papier Mache, Wire Bending, Masks and any other Objet d’ Art. This will be a juried show as our exhibition space is very limited, so a works should be strong and well presented and must adhere to the guidelines presented.
As far as funding is concerned, I have proposed a tiered sponsorship system. The success of this show is primarily dependent on financial support from the Private and Public sector. I have included a “Self-Help” category to encourage members to become private sponsors at a $500 contribution level. These member sponsors will be exempt from paying the submission fee, if they were entering works.
The exhibition will be launched via live Facebook event at the Art Society explaining the concept to members. Followed by the workshops, Pre-Jurying submissions online, hand-in, the opening reception, performance night, discussion or critique, film night and closing reception.
CALL TO ARTISTS
All ASTT Members are invited to submit works of art for our Carnival Visual Arts Group Exhibition scheduled to open on 02 February 2018. We would artists to really focus on the carnival theme and the carnival arts. All genres of visual arts are welcomed: painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, pottery, photography, performance art, art installations, video and any wearable newly created 3D and/or wearable art.
All works must be of a caliber suitable for sale to visitors to the Gallery during the exhibition. Works are to be submitted electronically via email for pre-selection 22Jan. Works not representing the Carnival theme and works previously exhibited or works below the jurors benchmark, will not be accepted.
|22JAN18||5pm||Electronic Submission||ASTT HDQ|
|23JAN18||5pm – 9pm||Jurying||Panel|
|26JAN18||10am – 5pm||Hand-in/Submissions||ASTT HDQ|
|27JAN18||10am – 5pm||Hand-in/Submissions||ASTT HDQ|
|27JAN18||TBA||Workshop 1- Lino Print||Wulf|
|27JAN18||11am – 2pm||Workshop 2 – Mask Making||Turunesh Raymond (Member)|
|28JAN18||11am – 6pm||Installation/Hanging||ASTT HDQ/Arnim|
|29JAN18||11am – 6pm||Installation/Cataloguing||ASTT HDQ/Curator|
|02FEB18||6pm-9pm||Opening Reception||ASTT Headquarters|
|09FEB18||5pm – 8pm||Performances/Artist talk with ASTT Patron Brian MacFarlane||ASTT Headquarters|
|17FEB18||6pm – 9pm||Film Night/Closing Reception||ASTT/TTFF|
|18FEB18||10am – 5pm||Collection Day||All Works to be collected|
|19FEB18||10am – 5pm||Collection Day||All Works to be collected|
PROSPECTUS OF ELIGIBILITY: REQUIREMENTS AND STANDARDS
- JURIED EXHIBITION: This Exhibition is juried by a panel of 3 persons. All entries are subject to Framing and Rules review and Jury of Selection. The Jury has absolute discretion in interpretation of rules and quality of work.
- ORIGINAL WORKS: All entries must be original, not previously exhibited in any ASTT show. Reference materials no longer under Copyright; I.e., any portrayal of historical figures, places or things using as a reference, another artist’s painting, photo or design can be accepted if proper credit is given to the original artist, but, cannot compete for an award. Also, for reference material under copyright, a copy of written permission from the copyright holder must be attached to the entry form.
- SHOW STANDARDS: (A) Image size may not exceed 192 sq. inches (approx.. 12”x16”) Oversized works will not be accepted . (B) Frame size may not exceed 352 sq. inches (approx. 16”x22”) Frame depth, including hanging hardware may not exceed 2”. (C) Frame must consistent with fine artwork with neatly covered backs. He frame will be considered part of the artwork and juried for acceptance into the show. (D) All works submitted must be wired and ready for hanging. Any works not ready to hang, will not be accepted into the show. (E) Sculptures may not exceed 24” wide by 36” tall. A request for a plinth must be made and it is recommended that a plexi casing be made and placed over the object. (F) Any special requests must be made in writing prior to submission, including requests for any Performance Artists.
- AWARD: (i) Most Innovative Costume Design (ii) Best Carnival Theme Original Painting (iii) Best Carnival Theme Photo or Digital Image (iv) Best Carnival Themed 3D Sculpture or other Objet d’art (v) People’s Choice
- QUANTITY: Each Artist, may submit up to five (5) pieces, from which, a max of two can be selected.
- PRICE AND COMMISSION: The Art Society of Trinidad and Tobago will collect a Sales Commission of 25% of the selling price. Artists must have their selling price decided upon, prior to submission days. Follow this formula > Artist Price multiple by 1.34 = Selling Price (Eg: If I want 1500.00 in my hand then, 1500 multiply by 1.34 would give me a selling price of 2010.00 from which the ASTT will deduct 25%, 2010 X 0.25 + $502.50 is to the ASTT, with a pay out to the artist of 1507.50.
- SUBMISSION FEES: Members must be financial for 2018. Renewals are currently being accepted at a sub of $200.00. The Submission Fee is 50.00 per piece.
- LIABILITY: All entries submitted in accordance with this prospectus will receive the utmost care in handling and security precautions. However, no responsibility will be assumed by the Art Society of Trinidad and Tobago, for loss or damage to works while intransit or in custody of the society in connection with, or during the show. It is understood that the sending of work in response to this prospectus constitutes an agreement on the part of the sender to ALL conditions set forth in this prospectus.
- BIOGRAPHIES: Artists’ biographies are not mandatory but are highly recommended. The ASTT will insert them into beautifully finished binders, which will be displayed at the Show, giving collectors access to them.
- RETURN OF WORKS: Works not accepted by the jury, or not sold, will be available for collection on Saturday 17th February from noon – 6pm. Alternate arrangements for collection will have to be requested by individual artists.
- METHOD OF PAYMENT TO ARTISTS: Collectors are required to pay 50% of selling price to reserve any works and final payment by the end of the show on 17Feb 2018. Artists whose works have been sold will be paid by cheque , once final payments have been made.
- LABLES: to be completed and affixed to artwork
|ARTIST’S SURNAME, first name|
|Mobile Phone number|
|YEAR CREATED 1|
|SELLING PRICE 1|
|ARTIST’S SURNAME, first name|
|Mobile Phone number|
|YEAR CREATED 2|
|SELLING PRICE 2|
- Update ASTT Membership
- Review and sign Prospectus and submit with artwork
- Calculate Artist’s Price and Selling Price, based on formula provided. Only include SELLING PRICE
- Complete labels and affix to artwork prior to submission
- Complete high res photography (300DPI) of artwork, before framing and submit via email to email@example.com electronic submissions must include Title, Medium, Size, Synopis and name of artist as well as selling price.
- Complete framing, taking into account all guidelines provided
- Deliver to Artwork to ASTT with all relevant paper work already completed, payment on the designated submission date. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Share event info on your social media