ASTT’s 75th ANNIVERSARY MEMBERS’ MAY EXHIBITION
“Celebration – Our National Pastimes, Holidays, Heroes and Heritage”
Call to Artists
You are cordially invited to be a part of our 75th anniversary celebrations. This is one of two art exhibitions the Art Society of Trinidad and Tobago will be mounting as part of its celebrations. The May Exhibition is for all members, whereas, the November Exhibition is an Invitational and intended to feature the works of invited artists who have grown with the art society through the years.
The Theme for the May exhibition is “Celebration – our National Pastimes, Holidays, Heroes and Heritage”
Curated by: Peter Sheppard – President, ASTT
The ASTT is seeking interested individuals to come forward to co-curate this exhibition, perhaps a Visual Arts student or member artist.
Please pay attention to the following schedule
|04APR||5pm-6pm||Exhibition Committee Meeting|
|30APR||5pm-6pm||Exhibition Committee Meeting|
|14MAY||5pm-6pm||Exhibition Committee Meeting|
|22MAY-26MAY||12Noon- 6pm||Exhibition Week 1|
|29MAY-02 JUN||12Noon- 6pm||Exhibition Week 2|
|05JUN-09JUN||12Noon- 6pm||Exhibition Week 3|
|11JUN||Gallery Clean Up|
Exhibitions Committee is open to all members who wish to contribute and/or volunteer to the ASTT’s exhibitions. Meeting dates have been listed above. If interested in joining the committee, simply attend the meetings.
Jury and selection process. A jury has been invited to select works for the 75th Anniversary May Members’ Group Exhibition. They will be made of a cross section of our Visual Arts Community. The Jury committee will also include the curator of this exhibition. The panel will be given a matrix to score the work according to the theme, criteria and integrity of the artwork. Works scoring under 60% overall, will not be selected for this exhibition. At this phase, the Jury will also make the determination for awards, based on the results from the matrix. The Matrix will be as follows:-
|ARTIST’S REG #||Title||Medium||Size||Visual Impact||Interpretation/
Clarity of theme
|Use of Medium||Creativity
Registration numbers will be issued as work is received online. Actual artists’ names will be omitted from the jury’s matrix. Registration numbers will be given in numerical order as received and will be prefixed by a letter according to category: P=painting, PH= Photography, S=Sculpture, C=Ceramics, F= Fabric, O=Other
Matrix Explained: The matrix will be given to each member of the Jury. They will award points individually and an average taken as the final score. The jury will establish a percentage point that is considered accepted v declined. For example, any work scoring lower that an average of 60 points will not be accepted for this show.
Visual Impact (30 points) Is the first impression of the piece. It’s palette, composition and presentation that attracts the eye.
Interpretation/Clarity of Theme (30 points) Must be evident what the theme of the exhibition is rather than just including the name of the theme in the title of the works. The work of art must reflect the theme.
Use of Medium (20 points) How the artists handles his/her chosen medium, mixing and application.
Creativity/Originality (20 points) points are awarded in this category to the artists who work in unique, presenting new ideas or technique. Any works thinking out of the box with gain points in this category, so long as it’s within the theme and criteria of the show.
The Top Scorer in each of the respective categories with be automatically considered to be the winner. This will be awarded based on an average of the scores of all jurors combined.
AWARDS: Will be given to top scores in the following categories. Best in Show (Painting), Best in Show (Photography), Best in Show (3D, Sculpture, Ceramics), President’s Award and People’s Choice
75th Anniversary Logo Design Challenge Artists are invited to submit designs for our 75th anniversary celebrations which begin with the May Exhibition. The winning logo will be used by the ASTT for the May and November Exhibitions, Social Media and any printed matter including letterheads and envelopes. The logo must fit together with the existing ASTT logo as the two will be used together. The 75th Anniversary logo will also be used on the invitations for both the May Members’ Exhibition and the November Exhibition.
Criteria : Submit logo design in black and white and colour versions in high res formats.
Must complement and work together with the existing ASTT logo
75th Anniversary must be an integral part of the design
It must reflect a Visual Arts Organization
Must be submitted no later than 27th April, in time for the jurors of the exhibition.
*There is no submission fee for the 75th Anniversary logo entry. Email entries to email@example.com with LOGO ENTRY in your subject line of the email.
Guidelines for submitting works for May Exhibition
- WHO CAN SUBMIT WORKS?: Artists must be financial members for the Art Society of Trinidad and Tobago. Artists can become a member or renew their membership by completing the online form and depositing the membership fee at any First Citizens Banks, nationwide. Then email us the deposit slip. http://artsocietytt.org/apply/ Membership Fee is 200.00 / year ending on 31st December 2018. There is a student fee of $100.00 on presentation of valid student ID.
- WHAT CAN I SUBMIT ?: Artists can submit works in any medium or genre of visual arts which includes, Painting, Photography, Ceramics, Sculpture, Fabric or Other (other media not listed) All submissions must be new works not previously exhibited and must reflect the theme of the exhibition. Unsuitable works will not be accepted.
- HOW MANY WORKS CAN I SUBMIT ?: Artists may submit up to two pieces each.
- WHAT ARE THE SIZE LIMITATIONS ?: The image of any works submitted cannot exceed 24”x 36” or 864 square inches.
- FRAMING: All works presented must be professionally and tastefully framed and ready for hanging in our gallery. If the work does not have a way to hang it, it will not be included in the collection. . The maximum finished framing size accepted, cannot exceed 32” X 44” or 1408 square inches.
- PRICING: Artists must establish the selling price of their work. This can be calculated using the following formula. Artist Price X 4, divided by 3 = Selling Price. Eg: if you want $1200.00 in your hand, 1200 X 4 = $4800. 4800 divided by 3 = $1600. Your selling price will be $1600.00. The ASTT will take a 25% commission or ¼ of the sale.
- COMMISSION: Works sold at the ASTT gallery at any point of the duration of the exhibition is subject to a 25% sales commission. The ASTT reserves the right to retain 25% of the selling price. E.g. For a piece listed and sold at TT$1600.00, 25% (TT$400.00) shall be retained by the ASTT and the remaining 75% (TT$1200.00) reverts to the artist or artist’s estate.
- INSURANCE: The Art Society and all artworks in its possession are insured with IBWIL. A detailed inventory is given to the insurers for the run of its shows throughout the year. For special high value collections, a further coverage is obtained for that period of possession.
- IMPORTANT DATES: Dates of submissions, the opening reception and all related dates are posted above for your perusal. Please pay attention to these dates and plan accordingly.
- OPENING RECEPTION: The exhibition opens on Monday 21st May, 2018 and will runs three weeks. There is no cover charge for the opening reception , which begins at 6:00pm and ends at 8:30pm. The ASTT is always building on its mailing list, but, members have followers too. If you have people you would like us to include on our mailing list, who may be interested in your work, please let us know and we will include them.
- GALLERY HOURS: The ASTT Gallery is open Tuesdays to Saturdays from 12noon-6pm. There are two holidays during the run of the show. Indian Arrival Day 30th May and Corpus Christi 31st Please note the ASTT Gallery will be open on both these days between 12noon and 6pm.
- ONLINE SUBMISSION:
A-Email high resolution JPEG images (300 DPI) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
B-Please copy and paste this in the subject line >> MAY18 ONLINE SUBMISSION .
C-Online Submission is open between 21st and 26th April.
D-Entries received after the 26th April will not be considered by our panel of jurors.
E-Include with each image the following, in this order: Artist’s Name, Mobile phone –
number, Painting title, Size, Medium, Selling Price and
F-A paragraph about yourself and another paragraph about you work presented.
G-This information will be made into a page for a folder in our gallery for visitors’ perusal.
H-Deadline for online submission is 26th April, 2018.
I-Email high resolution JPEG images (300 DPI) via email to email@example.com
J-Please copy and paste this in the subject line >> MAY18 ONLINE SUBMISSION .
K-Online Submission is open between 21st and 26th April.
L-Entries received after the 26th April will not be considered by our panel of jurors.
M-Include with each image the following, in this order: Artist’s Name, Mobile phone –
number, Painting title, Size, Medium, Selling Price
N-A paragraph about yourself and another paragraph about you work presented.
O-This information will be made into a page for a folder in our gallery for visitors’ perusal.
P-Deadline for online submission is 26th April, 2018.
- SELECTION NOTIFICATION: On the 1st May, you will receive an email informing you of the status of your online submission. Once you have received the email advising that you have been accepted, you may proceed to the framing phase to prepare your work for submission day. In the past, the curator was not involved in the jurying process and omitted work once the show was being installed. We have recognized the inconsistencies with this practice and have included the Curator to be a part of the jury. All works selected at this phase is final.
- SUBMISSION: AT the ASTT Headquarters 10th, 11th and 12th May between the hours of 12noon and 6pm. During this time, artists who have been accepted, bring in their works, ready to hang or display. The labels provided and Submission form attached should be completed prior to coming to the ASTT. This will help expedite your submission.
- SUBMISSION FEE: A non-refundable submission fee of $50.00 applies to each piece being submitted. Members may submit a maximum of two pieces or one diptych.
- COLLECTION: The closing day for the exhibition is Saturday 9th June and Saturday 10th June between 12noon and 6pm. Please make arrangements to collect your works within this window.
- SPONSORSHIP: This is a very important aspect of any art exhibition. As an N.G.O., we are dependent and the generosity of our corporate and private sponsors. Without this support, we cannot run our programmes as they should be run. We are appealing to everyone, whether you work with a large organization, a small business or even as an individual, to help support the Visual Arts. The following is a sponsorship scale for your perusal:
- Lead Sponsor ($25K): Name and logo is included in the title of the event, Brand placement throughout our Social Media and Press Coverage, links to/from websites
- Supporting Sponsors Gold ($15K): Logo placement on all print and social media.
- Supporting Sponsors – Friends of the Arts ($5K): Name or logo on Sponsors wall
- Supporting Members ($500.) Waiver of submission fee and name placement in list of sponsors
- Awards (Valued at 500. Each)