4th January 2019
CALL TO ARTISTS.
POP – a carnival expression of street and urban art
08 FEB – 28 FEB 2019
Call to Graffiti, POP, Muralists, Urban Artists & Artists working in this genre
The Art Society of Trinidad and Tobago is pleased to invite you to submit large scale works in the following genre of Visual Art : Graffiti/Aerosol, Urban, Street Art.
The Vision: The vision for this exhibition is to bridge the gap between our urban and street artists and the wider visual arts community. A select number of large scale works will be displayed on any material which can be hung in the gallery and eventually a home. Each large piece will have its own wall at the ASTT Gallery, so the artist can take advantage of the space. Must be able to fit through our 7’ doorway. The treatment of the work must look like graffiti or urban art and can include materials such as acrylic and emulsion paints, aerosols, airbrush and materials usually used for large scale work.
Please pay attention to the following schedule
|03 JAN 2019||A Social Media and Email||Official Launch/ Exhibition Announced|
|05 JAN 2019||4pm-530pm||1Artists’Meeting|
|12/19/26 JAN 2019||TBA||Artists’ Studio Visits|
|01- 02 FEB 2019||12noon-6pm||Delivery to ASTT|
|02 FEB 2019||TBA||Selection committee|
|03 FEB2019||Selection notification|
|05-06 FEB 2019||12noon-6pm||Installation of exhibition|
|08 FEB 2019||10PM-Midnight||POP opening party|
|P09 FEB 2019||12noon-6pm||POP Exhibition|
|12-16FEB 2019||12Noon- 6pm||POP Exhibition Week 1|
|19-23 FEB 2019||12Noon- 6pm||POP Exhibition Week 2|
|26-28 FEB 2019||12Noon- 6pm||Exhibition Week 3 (Closing)|
|01 MAR 2019||By prior arrangement||Collection|
|16 MAR 2019||12 Noon-6pm||Payment to Artists|
The Exhibitions Committee is open to all members who wish to contribute and/or volunteer to the ASTT’s exhibitions. Interested persons can send their contact details and area of expertise to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Jury and selection process
A selection committee will determine which works will be accepted for POP. The criteria must be adhered to and the more topical and sensational the work, the better The committee and the artists should use this matrix as a guide.
|ARTIST’S REG #||Title||Medium||Price||POP Factor||Originality||Theme||Material||Colour Harmony|
Matrix Explained: The matrix will be given to each member of the Jury. They will award points individually and an average taken as the final score. The jury will establish a percentage point that is considered accepted v declined. For example, any work scoring lower that an average of 70 points will not be accepted for this show.
POP Factor (20 points) points awarded to the overall impact and appeal of the work. First Impression.
Originality: (20 points) These points will be awarded for the artists presenting the best ideas, the most topical or relevant subject matter.
Theme: (20 points) For the artists sticking to the Graffiti, Street Art or Urban aesthetic
Material: (20 points) Points will be awarded for the choices made with the materials used. Canvas panels, plywood, fabric, galvanize etc.
Colour Harmony: (20 points) points will be awarded for colour choices made . The balance of colour throughout the piece.
Only artists scoring 70points or higher will be accepted into the final exhibition. So put on your thinking caps and get creative.
Guidelines for submitting works for POP 2019
- WHO CAN SUBMIT WORKS: Any artist or collaboration between a group of contributors can submit works for this exhibition. Artists must be financial members of the Art Society of Trinidad and Tobago. Artists can become a member or renew their membership by completing the online form and depositing the membership fee at any First Citizens Banks, nationwide. Then email us the deposit slip. http://artsocietytt.org/apply/ Membership Fee is 200.00 / year. There is a student fee of $100.00 on presentation of valid student ID.
- WHAT CAN I SUBMIT: You can submit works that are no smaller than 36”x48”. Works are expected to be large scale panels, intended to be sold and become a part of someone’s contemporary art collection.
- HOW MANY WORKS CAN I SUBMIT: Max two at the discretion of the section committee and space restraints.
- WHAT IS THE SIZE LIMITATIONS: minimum size is 36” x 48” and Maximum size must be able to fit thru our 7’ door.
- FRAMING: Framing is not essential for this type of exhibition, however works should be delivered ready to hang.
- PRICING: Artists must establish the selling price of their work. This can be calculated using the following formula. Artist Price X 4, divided by 3 = Selling Price. Eg: if you want $1200.00 in your hand, 1200 X 4 = $4800. 4800 divided by 3 = $1600. Your selling price will be $1600.00. The ASTT will take a 25% commission or ¼ of the sale. Each peas is only for sell.
- COMMISSION: The Art Society takes 25% commission for any sales. This is deducted from the selling price of your work. If you are selling for $1600 we will take $400.00 and give you $1200.00
- INSURANCE: The Art Society and all artworks in its possession are insured with IBWIL. A detailed inventory is given to the insurers for the run of its shows throughout the year. For special high value collections, a further coverage is obtained for that period of possession.
- IMPORTANT DATES: Dates of submissions, the opening reception party and plan accordingly.
- OPENING Party: The exhibition will open on Friday 8th February at 10pm-midnnight. There will be a bar and a DJ to create the urban vibe we are seeking to achieve. Your ideas are welcomed. will run for three weeks. The ASTT is always building on its mailing list, but, members have followers too. If you have people you would like us to include on our mailing list, who may be interested in your work, please let us know and we will include them.
- GALLERY HOURS: The ASTT Gallery does not open on Sundays and Mondays. Visitors to the gallery are welcomed Tuesdays-Saturdays from 12noon-6pm
- ONLINE SUBMISSION: Artists submitting work electronically for the POP exhibition must submit high res JPEG images (300 DPI) via email to email@example.com Please copy and paste this in the subject line of your email >> MAY18 ONLINE SUBMISSION . Online Submission is open until 01 Feb 2019. Entries received after the this date, will not be considered by our panel of jurors. Also include with each image the following, in this order: Artist’s Name, Mobile phone number, Painting title, Size, Medium, Selling Price and a paragraph about yourself and another paragraph about you work presented. This information will be made into a page for a folder in our gallery for visitors’ perusal. Deadline for online submission is 2nd February 2019
- SELECTION NOTIFICATION: On the 3rd February, you will receive an email informing you of the status of your submission.
- SUBMISSION: The submission days are on the 1st and 2nd February, between the hours of 12noon and 6pm. Works must be properly labeled with the labels provided and submission form attached should be completed prior to coming to the ASTT. This will help expedite your submission.
- SUBMISSION FEE: A non-refundable submission fee of $100.00 applies to each piece being submitted.
- COLLECTION: The closing day for the exhibition is Thursday 28th February. 12noon and 6pm. Being Carnival Weekend, we would encourage you to make arrangements to collect your work on time.
- SPONSORSHIP: This is a very important aspect of any art exhibition. As an N.G.O., we are dependent and the generosity of our corporate and private sponsors. Without this support, we cannot run our programmes as they should be run. We are appealing to everyone, whether you work with a large organization, a small business or even as an individual, to help support the Visual Arts. The following is a sponsorship scale for your perusal:
- Lead Sponsor ($25K): Name and logo is included in the title of the event, Brand placement throughout our Social Media and Press Coverage, links to/from websites
- Supporting Sponsors Gold ($15K): Logo placement on all print and social media.
- Supporting Sponsors – Friends of the Arts ($5K): Name or logo on Sponsors wall
- Supporting Members ($500.) Waiver of submission fee and name placement in list of sponsors
Please complete this label and stick to back upper left side of painting: